Home Forums Local Presidents Good quotes. . .

This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JimBoice 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

JimBoice
    Keymaster

“The practice of leadership resides in the place between chaos and order, and we are just honing our skill and knowledge in this practice of leadership. When facing new challenges that cannot be met with the same way we are currently working, we need to learn new ways of operating. It is during these times of uncertainty and increased complexity where results cannot be predicted that leaders need to invite others to share diverse knowledge to discover new purpose and strategy and decide the way forward.”

JimBoice
    Keymaster

One local president recently used this quote to say to her members that, “a couple dozen of us do all the work, and we need you on the field”:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/football_is_22_people_on_the_field.

JimBoice
    Keymaster

JimBoice
    Keymaster

“There are three ways of trying to win the young. There is persuasion, there is compulsion, and there is attraction. You can preach at them: that is a hook without a worm. You can say, You must volunteer, and that is of the devil. You can tell them, You are needed. That appeal hardly ever fails.”

Kurt Hahn, Educator

JimBoice
    Keymaster

Quotes on power:

“Power doesn’t have to show off. Power is confident, self-assuring, self-starting, and self-stopping, self-warming, and self-justifying. When you have it, you know it.”

“People with real power never fear losing it. People with control think of little else.”

“Power never takes a backstop. Only in the face of more power.”

JimBoice
    Keymaster

From this Ernesto Cortes Jr interview: https://www.fastcompany.com/3063383/weekly-top-5/from-old-school-to-do-lists-to-how-google-hires-augusts-top-leadership-stories.

“When one woman asks him to explain how he “motivates” people to support a cause with actions as well as words, the storm rolls in. Cortes can scarcely conceal his impatience. “Perhaps I prejudge you unfairly,” he begins, “but when I hear your question, what I think you’re really saying is, ‘How can I convince people to do what’s good? How do I get them to do what’s right? How do I get them to follow my agenda?’ ” He pauses, frowning. “That’s not organizing. What I mean by organizing is getting you to recognize what’s in your best interest. Getting you to recognize that you have a child, that you have a career and a life to lead, and that there are some things that are obstacles to the quality of your life. I need to get you to see how you can affect those things through relationships with other people. And it’s only going to happen if you engage in some kind of struggle.””

JimBoice
    Keymaster

Patience grasshopper. . .

JimBoice
    Keymaster

If you’re the smartest person in the room . . .

JimBoice
    Keymaster

Say “yes” now . . .

JimBoice
    Keymaster

The best leaders are good followers. 🙂

JimBoice
    Keymaster

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it.” Howard Thurman.

JimBoice
    Keymaster

Do we want perfection or engagement?  “It is a good sign in a [union] when things are done badly.  It shows that all people are doing them.  And it is a bad sign in a [union] when such things are done very well, for it shows that only a few experts and eccentrics are doing them, and that the [membership] is merely looking on.”

Adapted from G. K. Chesterton

JimBoice
    Keymaster

“Amazon Prime knows more about our members than we do.”

JimBoice
    Keymaster

See the attached meme re: the wolfpack.

NOTE: many of the posts above refer to attached memes, which were lost when the Message Board was transitioned over to the new NJEA website.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.